Thursday, September 16, 2010

14/9/10 Val d'Isere and Prariond refuge







Since we are seeing more and more snow and some of the refuges close in mid-Sepetember, we decided to head up for some more hiking and the always interesting experience of dorm sleeping in a refuge. This time we headed toward Val d'Isere, which word has it is a party town but there was a whole lotta nothing going on when we passed through. From there we turned off into the Vanoise National Park and headed up through the Malpasset gorges to the Prariond refuge. We dumped most of our stuff and then headed up to the ridge line. We were hoping to spot a bearded vulture, which are either threatened or endangered. We saw (and smelled – PE U! I have never smelled such stinky poo as sheep poo) some sheep but no bearded vultures.

Back at the refuge, we impressed the Frenchies with our culinary mastery by frying up yet another frozen pizza while they ate potatoes and cheese. I'm pretty sure they were jealous but since I don't speak French and they didn't speak English, all I caught was “bon appetite”.








No comments:

Post a Comment