Thursday, November 7, 2013

Dive Tending

 Today I got to help dive tend!  There are contractors here who are professional divers and there are also science divers, who come down to do research.  The day I got to help, I was working with the professional divers who were collecting specimen for the "touch tank" at the Crary Science Center here in town.  They were also taking a look at all the sponges and other sea life just off the ice shelf.  The ice here was about 6 feet thick.  There's a little dive shack over the top of the hole that has heat and a fan blowing over the top of the hole to keep it open. 


The divers collected an amazing sea spider (they get huge down here due to the amount of oxygen in the water I'm told) and several isopods (which look like big termites to me- yik).  Finally, we went up to the research lab and gathered up a pregnant fish and released her back into the ocean to have her babies.  Seems like good karma to me!
Sea Spider


Isopod - I'll try to get a better pic for
future posts

No comments:

Post a Comment