 |
The church at Port Arthur convict
settlement. |
 |
The hiking crew on the boat to the
start of the trail. |
 |
| Southern Right Whale from the boat! |
 |
| Port Arthur convict housing. |
 |
| The trail starts at the beach. |
 |
| Jane, Annie, Jen and Deb |


Early in August, a couple of my ambitious friends organized a group of girls to go on the Three Capes Track. I was a bit reluctant given that I had hiked this track as a series of day walks before they upgraded the trail, added huts and started charging an arm and a leg. But, I wanted to get away with the girls so I hopped on board and I'm glad I did.
The walk is pretty easy (46km over 4 days) and the track has been constructed to the point where you never get muddy or wet and you really don't even have to watch where you are going. The huts are swish and the sleeping quarters are divided up so you have 6 or less to a room. In winter, you can often get a room to yourself I hear but in summer, it would be very busy and not something I would enjoy.

You leave from the historic Port Arthur penal colony (price of the hike includes a pass to Port Arthur) and then hop on a boat to get to the start of the walk. The boat trip includes a little tour of the sea cliffs and some beaches and hopefully sea life: we saw a Southern Right Whale on our trip! The first afternoon is a 4km stroll to the hut and then the distances go up each day from there. That said, you can do some of the walking on days 3 and 4 without a pack.

At the moment, the walk only takes in two capes but I hear that the track connecting up to the third cape (Cape Raoul) is in progress and will be added eventually. It's a lovely way to get outside in winter but still have your creature comforts.
 |
| Some views with Deb! |
 |
| Cool art on the trail. |
 |
The view out to Tasman Island from Cape Pillar |
 |
| Hanging at the hut. |
 |
| Annie and a view |
 |
| Ready to go on morning two. |

 |
| Sea cliffs |
 |
| One of the huts -pretty luxurious. |
 |
| The whole gang (Annie, me, Jen, Jane, Heidi and Deb) |
 |
| View out along Cape Huay. |
 |
| Heids taking it all in. |
 |
| The track is FANCY! |
No comments:
Post a Comment