Saturday, December 21, 2013

Daily Work Life

Morning meeting in the barn




Morning stretching at the waste barn
(yes those are cardboard pieces instead of yoga mats)


What is it that I do down here?  People keep asking me that.  Basically, I'm a garbage man.  I collect and containerize recyclables and garbage from the station.  We recycle something like 70% of all our waste.  It's not glamorous but it's fun.  Really fun and pretty good exercise too.  And gross.  Really gross (at times).  My coworkers are awesome and we spend the majority of each day laughing.  Hard not to feel chilled out when the motto of the place is "it's just trash".  Plus, they do fun stuff!  More on that in a future blog.  And I get to drive a fork lift and crush giant pieces of metal.  Strangely, it's one of the better jobs I've ever had....


Our snack "kitchen" at work

Break in the office (with special guest
fuelie, Jeff Miller!)




Me and the waste bins (where people separate out waste into
various recycling streams)

In "skiddy" our tracked forklift
 
Driving the "pickle" forklift
Walking past the "parking lot"
on the way to work
Emergency response!  Scooping up
hydraulic fluid from a broken axel...


 
Operating the metal bailer


View from inside the bailer.  I love this
thing - made 10 drums into a 3'x3' cube!
 




1 comment:

  1. I don't think Burnie is gonna last long with that compactor. Hope all is well.
    Too late to send coffee for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete