Tuesday, June 22, 2010

14-18/6/10 Rain, rain go away














Turns out that Cape Naturaliste is sandy. Very sandy. Problem is that the roads look OK until it's too late and then you either keep moving or your stuck. We stopped in a beautiful forest to camp and it poured over night. In the morning, we were stuck. So, with the camp chairs serving as shovels, we dug and dug and then I pushed until I thought I would have a heart attack (really, the day just seems out of whack if it doesn't begin with some heart thumping pushing of this monster van). Good news is that Burnie seems to be running well again (fingers crossed). It's been raining cats and dogs for days. When asked when the weather was meant to clear, one of the locals replied, “October”. Seems that winter is very rainy in these parts. I'm hoping for a thunderstorm but mostly it just looks stormy until we decide the rain has passed and get out of the van. Then, once we are at least 5 minutes from the van, the skies open up and the rain buckets down. Seemed like a good time to hike out to see Ouiniup “falls”, which, inexplicably, was nothing more than a trickle.

We spent our latest rainy evening at the Colonial Brewery, where Jeff milked the beer cow and then refused to pose for photos. Happy Birthday Deb – we drank a beer in your honour!

No comments:

Post a Comment