Saturday, February 3, 2018

More Trips to Wilkes Hut

We got a boat ride to Wilkes for
Jordan's birthday since the snow was
too soft to travel by Hagglund.
Disembarking on the shore at Wilkes.
Zach, Erki, Al, Joe and Ben checking
out the partially buried old station.

I've already done a post about the Wilkes area so I won't blabber on again about it too much here.  Overnights at the hut are appreciated by everyone and done often as the hut is big enough to sleep 8 (the others are smaller) and is only about 40minutes drive via Hagglund.  I was lucky enough to get two trips fairly late in the season with some really fun folks and wanted to remember them with some pics!

Wilkes station - note the old buildings buried in the snow.
The world is our refrigerator
for Casey Station home brew.
Green oxidation minerals in the rocks.
Crates of supplies left
behind when Australia moved
the station to Casey.

I guess we were short
on knives?

Left overs from the days
when Wilkes station was
in operation.


The best thing about Wilkes is the wood
fire and the wood fired pizza!
Sunset from Wilkes.

Sunset hit to the memorial markers for
two people who died near Casey.
Erki looses out to Fake Doctor Al in
a snow wrestling match.

Zach and some peeping penguins.
We played quite a bit of chess
over the season.

Team Erki and friends (Zach, Ben,
Erki, Joe, Al and me)

No comments:

Post a Comment