 |
View up the Taylor Valley from
Fryxell Camp
|
 |
| Lake Fryxell Camp, Dry Valleys |
 |
| Canada Glacier, Taylor Valley |
 |
| Pressure ridges and melt pool |
 |
Pressure ridges where the ice shelf wraps
around Ross Island
|
 |
Leopard seal in Taylor Valley (this
is MILES from the ocean - crazy)
|
It was a fairly uneventful season for me in Antarctica. This is not to say that just being there isn't awesome, I just didn't go as many interesting places as I have in past years. Unfortunately, one of the most interesting places I went was so cold that I didn't take any pictures (dummy!). This was a trip to Mill Glacier, which is in the Transantarctic Mountains. A group of 5 of us were dropped off there by Basler with tents and wished of good luck. We spent a week camped there, which is possibly the coldest I've ever been. The ambient temperature was -20 during the day and the wind was blowing at a steady 30 knots until a storm with 40 knots blew in. Seriously, it was COLD!
 |
| Weddell Seal |
 |
| And a baby Weddell |
 |
| A pressure ridge tour group |
Other adventures included some trips to the Dry Valleys and a lot of fun in town with a great group of friends that I miss terribly now that I am no longer there.
 |
| Erebus Glacier ice tongue |
 |
| Fuelie salute for the retiring Delta. |
 |
This guy visited our
backdoor regularly
|
 |
| Spring, my partner in crime for the season |
 |
Serina, me, Devin, Spring and Kate
at Icestock
|
 |
5-mile ice berg - grounded in
McMurdo sound (the walls are
~100ft high!)
|
 |
| A fuelie funeral procession for the delta. |
 |
| Some days our transport is killer! |
 |
Monitoring a well with diesel
in the dry valleys
|
 |
| Women's March at McMurdo |
 |
| Our ride - a C-17 |
 |
| In the van on the way redeploy to NZ. |
 |
Harms, Devin and Kate on the way to
the airfield.
|
 |
| A bunch of the fuelies |
 |
The map showing our flight path back to NZ,
complete with a paper plane tracking our progress...
|
No comments:
Post a Comment