Thursday, February 19, 2015

Akaroa and the Banks Peninsula Track

Fog rolling into the harbor from the ocean
I finally got off the ice and back to New Zealand.  While I waited for Jeff to wrap up, I headed to Akaroa, which is about an hour southeast of Christchurch.  It's a beautiful little town on the ocean - there were cruise boats in the harbor every day I was there.  To work off some of the cholesterol build up that's been accumulating (the food is not the healthiest at McMurdo), I decided to do a short backpack trip around the Banks Peninsula.  It's a private track, which means you have to pay to do it but the huts are nicer than most and there are fewer people (a major plus!).  I did it in two days (19km and 16km or 12 miles and 10 miles) but you can do a more leisurely four day itinerary if you choose.
A high point on the track - looking back
toward Akaroa

Much of the walk was along the coast
A handmade pool table, complete with
actual sticks
One of the huts




Saw more sheep than people

This one wanted to chew
on my camera strap
Some ice folk that I met up with at the
Onuku Farm stay


No comments:

Post a Comment