Sunday, November 23, 2014

Cape Royds

Map of Ross Island (McMurdo and the Kiwi base are both
on the far end of the finger on the SW side of the island.
Edge of the ice shelf
from the copter

The RAC tent that the scientists use at Royds
Cape Royds is located at the far western end of Ross Island and, like Crozier, there's an adelie colony there. It's a specially protected area and access to the colony is very limited (lucky me). This one is much smaller but the colony is close to a hut that the scientists who study them use.  It's also very close to Earnest Shakelton's Nimrod expidition hut.  More on that later.








I got to spend a couple of days here and, frankly, I could spend all day every day just watching the penguins do their thing.  I have so many videos of them but am trying to only upload the best few here.  So, if you tire of penguins picutres, fast forward to the next post.  I can't help myself....


I especially the shove one of the guys in line gives the guy in front of him in this video (about 26 seconds in).






No comments:

Post a Comment